Confessions of a true foodie: I DREAM about this coleslaw.
It is SO good. It’s the perfect combination of everything coleslaw should be – crunchy, tangy, a little sweet, fresh and vibrant.
Forget the soggy, mayo based, cabbage coleslaw you’ve had in the past. This rainbow coleslaw has got it going on!
And yes, it does have cabbage like traditional slaw, but I used red cabbage for a punch of gorgeous color. It also has apples, Brussels sprouts and carrots for an amazing combo of flavors and textures that is out of this world delicious.
Instead of mayo, I made this ‘slaw vinegar based. The dressing is a combo of apple cider vinegar (highlighting the apples!), coconut sugar, olive oil, garlic powder and pepper. It’s sweet, tangy and totally delicious.
There is no limit to this coleslaws greatness. And that’s just the truth.
Of course you can serve it as a side dish to just about any BBQ, but it also tastes great atop a pulled pork or chicken sandwich. You can add it to salads or serve it with rice bowls. It’s freaking amazing on some fish tacos.
The only downside is there is some slicing and dicing involved. I used my food processor to chop up the carrots, but did the sprouts, apples and cabbage by hand. If you wanted to use the food processor and had the chopping attachment, by all means you can chop all of them that way. Whatever works for you.
If you’re making this for a party, you can chop everything in advanced then add the dressing and refrigerate for an hour or two before serving. It also stays in the fridge for 4-5 days after you make it, but does start to lose it’s crunch after that.
However, the chances of it lasting that long are small because everyone’s going to want to top their plates with some of this!
- For Slaw:
- 1 apple, diced into match sticks
- 2 carrots, diced into match sticks
- 6-8 Brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1-2 cups red cabbage, sliced thin
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Chop and mix apples, carrots, Brussels sprouts and cabbage in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, olive oil, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Pour dressing over veggie mixture and toss to incorporate.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.